Saturday, May 24, 2014

Bach preparation, daily grind

Hi! Oh my goodness I've been having such fun playing viola!

I'm playing the Bach 1st cello suite for my cousin's wedding, so I've been troubleshooting and muscle training. There have been several invaluable lessons from this process:

  • I found a discussion boards on violinist.com that's changed my brain! Here's the board. A user recommended letting the curvature of bridge guide the amount you raise/lower your right arm, pointing out that often we overestimate the degree to which the right arm should travel. INVALUABLE!!
  • I re-read the jury notes from an end-of-semester performance and rediscovered a tip- have double stops peak on the beat and begin during the preceding note.
  • While getting some of the passages up to tempo, I remembered this advice : focus on the note you're about to play. In your mind, let it occupy a position of greater importance than the note you're presently on.
  • As a continuation of this thought, the follow through is delightful. That's helping me out a lot with some muddled end of measures in the Prelude- not emphasizing the end of the measure but just using the bow up into the last note.
  • Finally, I was having trouble with the 2nd half of the Courante, the 13th measure. I'm still working it, but find that if I just kind of "activate" or am conscious of my right hand middle and ring finger, the bow challenges diminish. To be continued... 
I need to take a video of myself playing the whole thing. I've been scouring YouTube for videos of the piece- what luck to have this as a resource! Also writing journals- practice logs, observations from listening or watching performances, and just thoughts on the sound and experience. Journaling is a wonderfully reinforcing tool for contemplation- nothing makes your thoughts seem more real than putting them on paper.

That's all for now. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment