Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Practice Journal Sep 2015

I've been playing out a lot, but I haven't practiced in a while. 

Lately, the time I’ve spent performing has been enough for me to maintain a comfortable range of access on the viola. It’s all about access for me now, I keep thinking of music this way. Can I get to the notes I want? Am I able to express the musical ideas I have, or am I chasing after ideas that are out of my range? Am I spending too much time trying to play things that I can’t play yet, and what are the fundamentals of improvising? Because they're not the same as for Classical music! What can I do now with my current skills and what would strengthen the music?

But all that aside. It’s time to get fit! Ok here I go...

30 minutes of practicing and I notice distinctly now that I have not practiced for at least a week, ha! My left arm is spagetti-fied and my right arm needs some long bowing exercises. I started by playing Back Home in Indiana- running through a standard usually helps me to get back into a groove quickly when I come back to practicing. What also doesn’t hurt is just enjoying the fact I can play, getting creative with the rhythm making, just overall pretending I'm a bassist!

Day 2

Spent 30 minutes practicing a B-flat major scale. 20 minutes diatonics in B-flat major with slurred bowing. I got caught practicing for longer than intended, maybe because I haven’t practiced for a while?

10 minutes on the changes for the 1st half of Indiana, especially working on a change from B-flat to F-diminished. Would love to have all the diminished cords under my belt, readily accessible from anywhere.

Thoughts on my mind… it seems like if you are not receiving recognition as an artist, the only solution is to continue creating work. Because it’s the only way you can improve your craft and grow your body of completed work. Process oriented!

Day 3

And then life took over, so haven’t been able to practice since- rehearsal, performance, editing music. Life. Luckily I had some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment