Monday, April 14, 2014

practice log

Something that I love in life is slowly, methodically, working it out.

Working on bow, on keeping the right shoulder down. Seems like the normal "next step" in refining bowing technique- after spending a month focusing on upper arm and on using as much bow as humanly possible.

I think about my friend Susan who I've been giving lessons to. Think about how many times I've started over with the viola- come back to it. When I start over, I usually focus on the left hand for a while but then the bow becomes an obsession. It's like the left hand goes where you tell it if you just put it in the right place. The bow isn't as static, more movement than twiddling fingers (lol!).

I practiced technique, took a break, practiced improvisation, took a break. Practiced Bach. Sometimes for a "break" I just reviewed songs I hadn't played in a while- like "Twisted", which is a Wardell Gray solo that Annie Ross put lyrics to.  Or running through the Bach.

No comments:

Post a Comment