Monday, April 7, 2014

Practice Journal - Tech, Improv, Bach

I usually begin with technique (nerdywoo!!) This time I made up my own sequence and took it through all keys.

With the metronome at 70bpm, play a major descending arpeggio in Quarter notes (8-5-3-0, or C2-G1-E1-C1). Next jump back to the octave above tonic and play a descending major scale in 8th notes. Finally play the same descending scale but this time with Quarter notes instead of 8th notes.

I liked this drill because the 1st part has some speed, and in the 2nd I can take a moment to really concentrate on note names. That was key- it's hard to concentrate over all 12 keys and I need a little speed for muscle building. I am also obsessing on my bow right now, which is fun because I'm correcting some crookedness. I watched the bow like a hawk, keeping it over the f holes, as well as focusing on my shoulder and right forearm.

After a while I started trying out new things- scales in different directions, different descending/ascending patterns... noticed I'm not concentrating ;) . NEXT!

So next up, practice improvisation by going from Major to relative Minor in all keys. I start with arpeggios mimicking walking bass lines. Threw some scales in there. The goal was creativity, memorizing arpeggio note names, and making the transition from Major to the Minor as lyrical as possible.

Ended technique by going over Scrhadieck Book I exercise 3 which BTW is ONLINE 4 FREE,- great for strengthening left hand fingers. Also went over the chord changes for Satin Doll. I'm getting F#9 and C6 under my belt.

After that worked on Bach Cello Suite 1 Allemand (this guy knows what I'm talking about). Bow arm, bow, arm, bow arm... relaxing string crossings, metronome. Had to stop, reviewed the Ciaconna intro, felt like a bad ass (someday I'll play like this).

I love how much more flexible and strong my arms are after practicing. I love how I can tell they've improved after only 2 hours. Aaa...

No comments:

Post a Comment